Data migration process:
- Identify stakeholders. Create data map for them, communication with them is important.
- Data analysis. Identify data to be migrated, correct approach for migrating data, whether it requires cleaning, how it should be stored in Salesforce.
- Data and system preparation. Data cleaned and converted in CSV files. Order of migration considered. Customise meta-data in Salesforce where required.
- Data migration testing. Test data migration in sandbox. First with a subset of data then full migration of data. Identify and rectify any hiccups.
- Data migration and validation. Create backup of existing data in production. Migrate data into production. Check data with various users to validate it. Communicate with stakeholders.
Data Import Wizard vs Data Loader. Depends on the size of import and the objects involved. Generally, Import Wizard is preferable but Data Loader can support more?
Migration order of objects:
- Product Line Items
- Campaign Members
- Custom Objects