Leads can be created:
- Other means in 3rd party apps
Lead assignment rules allow the owner of a lead to be automatically assigned by Salesforce. To a user or a queue.
Web-to-lead can be used to create leads after a potential lead submits a form on a website. Auto-response rules can be configured to send a quick reply to these.
The lead object can be customised. New fields and picklist values.
Lead conversion is where you think there’s a definite possibility of a sale; and a prospect is converted into a customer. Lead conversion into account/contact/opportunity is performed by clicking ‘convert’ on the lead detail page.
Lead scoring is a capability which tries to identify good quality leads in Salesforce by assigning a score to leads based on certain criteria. Lead scoring can get quite creative. You can record:
- Lead activity score (level of engagement)
- Lead qualification score (BANT criteria)
- Lead data quality score
You can use these individual scores and more in individual fields, then use them all to create an overall score in a formula field. You can add images to represent the score such as 5 stars or a green light.
Data quality of leads is important. Use the following tools:
- Validation rules
- Duplicate management
- Workflow rules (e.g. field updates, email manager if unassigned)
- Required fields
- Data merge
- Data enrichment (data.com)
- Dashboards to measure lead scores
Consider a lead data management plan, which is guidelines for managing leads so as to maintain good data quality.
Lead conversion considerations
- A lead can be converted into an account, contact and opportunity record.
- If the company field on a lead is blank it will create a person account on conversion
- This process of converting requires fields to be mapped: standard fields are already mapped and custom fields can be mapped automatically. This is performed in the object management section under ‘map lead fields‘.
- View converted leads with a report, or with the permission ‘view and edit converted leads‘
- A lead with pending workflow or approval processes cannot be converted
- Close date of opportunity is automatically assigned to last day of fiscal quarter or period (depends on fiscal year settings)
- Campaign member leads are moved to the new contacts after lead conversion
- All open activities are attached to account, contact or opportunity
- Use ‘require validation for converted leads‘ to enforce validation settings, otherwise these won’t be enfored